Whether you are new to the online world or have had your business online for a while the truth remains the same for both, if your brand looks like an amateur you will be perceived as an amateur. One of the biggest mistakes I see online business owners make is not creating a professional looking brand for their company online. Let’s face it first impressions can make or break a relationship and if your business looks like a 3rd grader set it up for you then that is how your whole business is going to be perceived … unprofessional and not taken seriously.
Let me ask you a question … if you were setting up a brick and mortar store for your business, or if you were running a commercial on TV to market your business … would you try to do it all yourself? Would you create the tv commercial with your flip camera? Would you make a cardboard sign for your front entrance? No … I’m sure you wouldn’t because that would not seem professional … so please please please don’t do this type of thing for your online business. Treat it as a business and give it the respect and thought it deserves to be presented as the professional entity you are building it into.
So that being said …. if you are not an expert at designing websites, if you are not an expert at graphics, and if you are not an expert at anything you need to get your business set up online in a professional way … then make sure you take the time to find someone who is and invest in your company to make sure you start out the right way. (and by the way it does not have to cost a fortune … just make sure you do your research to find the right providers to work with … there are a lot of very talented and qualified people out there that would love to help you and don’t cost an arm and a leg, you just have to know the right places to look for them)
Remember you never get a second chance to make a first impression!
Here are the top 5 things to consider when you are setting up your brand online to make sure it represents your brand in a professional and inviting way.
- Make sure your website represents your brand in a professional way, online your website is basically your storefront for your business, it is where your potential clients will make the first decision if you are someone they want to work with or do business with … so this is the most important place to make sure you get it right. Having a website designed for you does not have to cost a lot, if you are on a tight budget just start out with a one or two page site that gives the basics … but whatever you do make sure it looks professional ~ please don’t skimp on this part! (If you are ready for a professional look we offer website development and design for as low as $397.00 … so it doesn’t have to cost a lot, just start with what you can afford and then build out from there)
- When someone makes a connection with you online make sure you make it easy for them to connect with you throughout the web. Make sure to include links to all of your social media channels above the fold on your website so you make it easy for your visitors to continue the conversation with you as they go throughout the web onto other social media channels. Plus having a presence on the top 4 social media channels shows that your business has a good presence online and you are available for your customers to build a relationship with.
- Make sure your Website and all of your social media channels look the same throughout the web. The look of your brand should carry through with the same professional look on all of your social media sites. Some people’s first impression of your brand may be on Facebook or Twitter so make sure you keep the integrity of your brands look the same throughout the web.
- Use professionally done graphics for all of your online properties (if you aren’t a graphic designer don’t try to fake it, if you don’t take your business serious no one else will)
- Make sure to present your brand in an inviting and personal way. Advertising and Marketing have changed over the past year or so and the social aspect of every brand has become a very important factor in how well your business will do in the market place. Consumers want to know the people behind the company … they want to be able to form a connection with you and your business on a personal level … the importance of social media marketing has become so much of a factor in businesses success that you want to make sure when developing your brand you take that into consideration.
I hope these tips will give you a good starting point to getting your brand set up online in a professional and inviting way … make sure to leave me a comment below if you have any questions on online brand development … or if you have any tips you can share I would love to hear those too!
To Your Success!
The Marketing Momma